Monday, January 20, 2014

Red-capped plovers nesting, Observation Point, Phillip Island

These teensy little fellows are found throughout Australia. Measuring in at 14-16cm the Red-capped plover is the smallest shore bird I see. It is my understanding that they are at the end of their breeding season for Victoria. I have certainly noticed many distraction displays over recent months. On this day I walked right into a nesting site on my walk towards Phillip Island's Observation Point.

Red-capped plover Caharadrius ruficapillus


Pizzey describes the nest as a scrape in the "sand, shingle or bare ground; scantily lined with shells, stones, plants". This nest then, must be some sort of mansion!


With the bright sunlight affecting the screen, I didn't check this iPhone photo which is bizarrely totally out of focus. I have still included it as it shows the clever location of this nest.
Red-capped plover eggs - hopefully not hard-boiled after Victoria's recent heat wave.
The usual summer collection of birds at the end of the spit.
Bar-tailed godwit 
Crested tern and Pacific gull
Crested tern
The "red-billed" birds seem to be sticking together - Pied oystercatchers and Caspian Tern
It was Race 6 at Rhyll Inlet when this group ran along the mudflats to join a bird that was calling loudly

I missed out on Hooded plover, Eastern curlew, Whimbrel and recently seen Fairy Tern but I'll be back!

 Bird on!

2 comments:

  1. Their eggs certainly are attractive, and I do hope they weren't cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures and interesting narrative. I wish I had been on the walk with you!

    ReplyDelete