Sunday, September 14, 2014

Hide & Seek with a Spinebill - Birding Phillip Island

Silverleaves was pretty wet at times this last winter.


As the old saying goes: It was good weather for ....

Australian wood-duck took to the water where there was usually just grass
A few Chestnut teal had also moved in 
Waterlogged. "The Common" at Silverleaves
Birding was still OK albeit with damp feet! This Eastern spinebill was hanging around our house playing hide & seek.

Hiding in the correa. Eastern spinebill, Phillip Island
Playing peek-a-boo with a grevillea. Eastern spinebill, Phillip Island

There's nowhere to hide on fence wire! Eastern spinebill
 Another individual I'm getting to know is one of the local kookaburras. "He" also like sitting on wires.

Laughing kookaburra. This is his good side.
Here it is giving all in song. At first I thought his eye was just closed but his right eye is not normal
I see him 'round from time to time
The Common - uncommonly wet (Winter 2014)!
Bird on!

1 comment:

  1. One of my favourite memories of my visit to Australia was having an early morning coffee on the veranda at my B&B and being entertained by an Eastern Spinebill moving around in a bush on the other side of the rail, at times so close I could almost have touched it.

    ReplyDelete